Sunday, July 25, 2010

A Taste of Poland


What first attracted me to Poland was the history and this country’s involvement in World War II. One of the largest Nazi concentration camps was Auschwitz located in Poland. Over three million people were recorded to have died in this camp, almost all of Jewish religion. Poland has many beautiful lakes and rivers which also attract tourists. The food in Poland is always very hardy. Many Polish cooks prepare a single meal over the course of a day, or possibly a week to make sure it is perfect. Visiting Poland is overall an educating, visually pleasing, and stomach filling experience.

The taste of Poland I am going to share with you is a delicious dish, Pierogi. Although the specific origin of the first Pierogi is uncertain, it is most connected to the Polish and one of their top dishes to try while visiting. This is one of my favorite meals here in the United States and I was lucky enough to try them where they are most loved.

How is it made?

Pierogi are a dumpling-like treat. A layer of dough is wrapped around a filling, usually potato and cheese but can also be cabbage or meat. Polish Pierogi dough is pasta-pastry dough and much thicker than any Pierogi you may taste from somewhere else. When prepared Pierogi can be baked, fried, or boiled. My favorite is boiled then fried. If you chose to fry this dish it is pan-fried in butter accompanied with onions.


How do I taste one?

Finding Pierogi as big and tasty as the ones served in Poland is hard to come across. If you can’t fly over to Europe any time soon Piergoi can be found all over the United States. I first tried Piergoi in the cafeteria of my high school. I continued to see this dish served in my college cafeteria and refused to miss out every time it was offered.

If you are out of school Piergoi can be found in almost any food store in the freezer section. One brand I have grown to love is “Mrs. T’s Pierogi”. These are absolutely delicious.

This dish of Poland is a must try and so easily accessible, so don’t miss out because these are one of my favorite dishes of all time!

No comments:

Post a Comment