Friday, July 2, 2010

Experience is the Best Kind of Research

Making an observation or experiencing an event happens a million times a day without even realizing it. This can be as simple as watching a crab walk sideways or being a part of a major event such as the War on Terror.

I believe the most effective form of research is primary observation and experience. You never really understand something unless you personally experience it and find the answers to your own questions. You are the eye witness and notice different aspects that attract your attention that someone else might not notice.

Relying on answers and explanations that someone else provides gives you a level of satisfaction to be informed but cannot compare to the level of information you receive from experiencing it for yourself. An author of a book doesn’t always include extraneous factors that really do impact an experience. This can be a smell, a taste, the weather, the number of people around, or even your geographic location. All of these factors can heighten an experience and help an observer understand and feel that much closer to what is being researched.

I find that the research I have done for my niche mainly branches from my personal experiences which makes it honest, accurate, and credible. I noticed how things smell and taste. I noticed the type of people also eating this food. I noticed if certain dishes are more connected to the country’s culture than others. The fact that I have traveled throughout Europe and have tasted the dishes I speak about in my blog allows me to add personal opinion and detail to share only the ones I believe to be worth a taste.

I did not realize I was doing research at the time but have a level of knowledge of my niche over someone else that has not traveled to Europe. For others who have traveled Europe, my results will be different. As I mentioned earlier, everyone has a different experience even if they are doing the same task. Not everyone may like the foods I like and all factors involved in their traveling experience need to be considered.

Next time you are walking down the street and notice people talking or an animal crossing your path, realize you are doing research and making observations. The next step is the decision to do something with your new found knowledge or just let it go. It’s up to you but it is your experience and no one else will notice what you have or view the situation in the same way as you.

No comments:

Post a Comment