Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Taste of Italy

Ciao! Italian cuisine is a favorite for people all over the world. All ages love Italy’s most basic spaghetti and meatballs with marinara sauce to a more complex dish Saltimbocca, which is veal and prosciutto. Traveling to Italy was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. The food was absolutely amazing and I could not get enough at any time of the day.

Italian cuisine is set up into courses. You are first offered bread and wine when you are seated. Oil is provided for dipping. I always asked for balsamic vinegar because I loved to mix it with the oil. First is the Aperitivo. This is the appetizer to the meal. Some of my favorites are bruscetta and calamari. Next is the Antipasto. This is eaten right before your meal almost as a second appetizer. My favorite is mozzarella and prosciutto. I am not a huge fan of tomatoes but all of my friends were obsessed with mozzarella and tomato for their Antipasto. The first course is called Primo. This is usually a pasta or risotto dish. The second course is Secondo. This is the main dish which is usually fish or meat. A side dish is called the Contorno which is a salad or cooked vegetables. After the meal is complete it is time for dessert. You can have Formaggio e frutta, which is cheese and fruits, or Dolce which is a sweet dessert such as a cannoli or gelato.

The taste of Italy I am going to share with you is a dish called Pasta alla Carbonara. This is a pasta dish usually with spaghetti or fettuccini. The Carbonara saurce is an egg based sauce which is unlike anything I’ve had before traveling to Italy.

How is it made?

Growing up in America I’ve noticed we tend to use cream in many of our white pasta sauce recipes. Not in this case. This dish is made with pasta, pancetta or bacon, eggs, parmesan cheese, black pepper, olive oil and garlic. Some recipes call for white wine but it is up to the cook if they would like to use that.


How do I taste Pasta alla Carbonara?

This recipe can be found in many authentic Italian restaurants. It is not as popular and Fettuccini Alfredo or many marinara dishes so you may want to call ahead of time and check if it is on the menu.

Pasta alla Carbonara is so easy to make. All of the ingredients can be found in your local food store and can be prepared in a half an hour time.

On Thursday night my boyfriend and I wanted to try a new dish and we landed upon this amazing Pasta alla Carbonara recipe which I need to share with all of you. Spaghetti Carbonara II . This is an amazing recipe, even if you do not like egg. I made some alterations though. I replaced the bacon with pancetta for a more authentic taste. I used four cloves of garlic instead of one. We love garlic but it still wasn’t over powering. I also upped the portion on Parmesan cheese. Instead of a half a cup I added a cup and a half. I love cheese and this just erased the step of adding more when it was time to eat it on my plate. Lastly I chose to use the wine. This took away from the egg taste and kept the pasta moist.

Again this recipe is amazing. I sent an email to my family and friends letting them know this is a must have dish. So if you have a night where you aren’t sure what to make, bring a little taste of Italy home with Pasta alla Carbonara.

No comments:

Post a Comment